[vtkusers] Volume 3-D Contours

Patrick Lowry plowry at scotia-group.com
Tue Dec 9 17:15:48 EST 2003

Greetings All:

I am looking for guidance on interpreting the vtkMassProperties-Volume of
poly data generated with vtkContourFilter.  The volume returned by
vtkMassProperties does not appear to relate to the volume estimated by
summing the volume of the cells circumscribed by the same 3-D contour, with
the former being much greater.  Should the volume not be in the cubic units
(x*y*z) of those defining the vtkContourFilter poly data?

I would like to think that vtkMassProperties-Volume of a close 3-D contour
generated by vtkContourFilter would be in the real world volumetric units
of the input data.  Is this how it should work and I am just doing
something wrong or am I expecting too much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick Lowry
The Scotia Group