[vtkusers] getting the brightest pixel?

Nico Vermaas vermaas at astron.nl
Tue Aug 26 02:26:38 EDT 2003

Hi

I am using vtkVolumeRayCastMIPFunction and that shows the maximum values nicely, but...

what I want to find out is *which* pixels (in x,y,z world coords) are responsible for those maximum pixels. To be more precise, I want to be able to point at a location on/in the cube and get back the x,y,z of the highest value responsible for that pixel.

I am trying a probe of a line from the camera location to the picking location, but because the pick just ends 'somewhere' in the cube that doesn't work to good. I have to extend the line past the picking location to be sure that it goes through the entire cube. It all feels a bit too elaborate, like there should be a much easier way to do this.
And I have a hard time getting x,y,z information from that probe line.

Nico

>>> Benjamin King <king.benjamin at mh-hannover.de> 08/26/03 09:07am >>>
Hi Nico,

a vtkVolumeRayCastMIPFunction might do what you want. Unfortunately when I
had to do something similar a while ago I found it to be very intertwined
with the vtkVolumeRayCastMapper class. But then again it might have been my
inferior C++ skills =)

Best regards,
  Benjamin

--