[vtkusers] Re: [MayaVi-users] hardware stereo swapped LR images in raycast, but not 2D texture in volume rendering

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Aug 20 03:18:37 EDT 2003

[snip]

    DJW> Now when I rotate the data set , I think the faster
    DJW> vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D is used.  In hardware stereo this
    DJW> looks correct (but it is fuzzy so a bit hard to tell)

Well, only the vtkVolumeRayCastCompositeFunction is used.  The texture
mapper is not used here.  When interacting it renders faster and
fuzzier.

    DJW> however, when the rotation is finished the slower
    DJW> vtkVolumeRayCastMapper is used for a nice rendered image.
    DJW> When rendering is finished the left and right images are
    DJW> displayed incorrectly!  What the dialog boxes think is the
    DJW> right image is actually the left image, and vice versa.

    DJW> This behavior is also seen with a python script I cobbled
    DJW> together to display stacks of tiff images using ivtk from
    DJW> mayavi.

    DJW> Is the problem a bug in the vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D or
    DJW> somewhere upstream?

I don't have the hardware to check but it must be with the
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper or the way its being used in the module.  If
you can reduce the test program to something that is easily
reproducible with standard data like the ironProt.vtk file and without
any of the MayaVi stuff it would easier for a VTK developer with
knowledge of the VolumeMapper internals to respond.  If you have
difficulty with that mail me off-list.

cheers,
prabhu