[vtkusers] hardware stereo swapped LR images in raycast, but not 2D texture in volume rendering

Dr. Daniel James White PhD dan at chalkie.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 08:14:50 EDT 2003

Hi ,

I am experiencing a strange stereo problem using VTK with the mayavi
frontend,
concerning display of hardware stereo using a crystaleyes glasses system
on a redhat linux 8.0 box with ATI radeon 7500, and the Xig.com Xserver
for quad buffered stereo.

When I load in the IronProtein.vtk example file
and use the new Mayavi module
volume
by Gerard Gorman (see mayavi list recently)

then turn on the
SetStereoTypetoCrystalEyes
and
StereoRenderOn
in the
Configure vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow
dialog box

Now when I rotate the data set , I think the faster
vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D is used.
In hardware stereo this looks correct (but it is fuzzy so a bit hard to
tell)

however, when the rotation is finished the slower
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper is used for a nice rendered image.
When rendering is finished the left and right images are displayed
incorrectly!
What the dialog boxes think is the right image is actually the left
image, and vice versa.

This behavior is also seen with a python script I cobbled together to
display stacks of tiff images
using ivtk from mayavi.

Is the problem a bug in the vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D or somewhere
upstream?

Hardware stereo functions correctly in other software such as pymol and
bodil.

Previously I have applied a little hack to mayavi to enable stereo
viewing as suggested by
Prabhu Ramachandran.

also SetStereoTypeToLeft gives the same incorrect/swapped double image
as SetStereoTypetoCrystalEyes.
but SetStereoTypeToRight only displays 1 image to both eyes.

When StereoRenderOn is turned off, or not turned on, same thing,
only the right eye sees and image, and the screen is blank to the left
eye, casing a flickering, or half intensity image.

I don't know if the hack to mayavi  has caused this problem?
I don't think the flickering happened before I applied the hack.

any ideas VTK stereo folks?

cheers

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Cell Biology
Department of biological and environmental science
PO Box  35
University of Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä FIN 40014
Finland