[vtkusers] Re: VTK: Mouse Wheel Event

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu.Malaterre at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon Aug 18 04:44:54 EDT 2003

Charl P. Botha wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 14:33, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>
>>Charl Wrote:
>>
>>>2. I am concerned about your translation of button4 and button5 XEvents
>>>to VTK MouseWheel events.  This is only true if the user has
>>>"ZAxisMapping 4 5" in her config file.  Is it not possible for you to
>>>trap the ZAxis events themselves?  The way you have done it works, but
>>>is not entirely correct.
>>
>>You are perfectly right.
>>I have been browsing different GUI libs: wxWindows/ gtk+/ fltk and they
>>all make the assertion that config file has:
>>Option ZAxisMapping 4 5
>

> If that's the case (i.e. ALL of these toolkits assume that Button 4 and
> 5 events are triggered by the scroll-wheel) we could *maybe* do the
> same, although one has to wonder what will happen on that odd mouse
> where Buttons 4 and 5 are something totally different (e.g. thumb
> buttons).  If you find anymore information about this, I would love to
> hear.

Charl,

	I understand your point of view, but I think that this option has
become a 'standard'.
	If you have an odd-mouse with side button, there is a FAQ for Mandrake
user:

	http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/xwin/xmouse2.html#button

	The imwheel (http://jonatkins.org/imwheel/) project, also assume that X
config has the option : "Option ZAxisMapping 4 5"

	BTW, if a left handed user has remap the X event with:

$ xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1 4 5"

Then a mouse left button click would raise a "RightButtonPressEvent" in VTK.

	I tried some app such as OpenOffice / Mozilla/ Netscape/ Nedit / XEmacs
... *ALL* are mapping wheel event to button 4 and 5. So please if you
know any other app that doesn't make this assumption, please send me
link to it.

Regards,
mathieu