[vtkusers] Re: VTK: Mouse Wheel Event

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Mon Aug 18 05:56:58 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 10:44, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Charl P. Botha wrote:
> > If that's the case (i.e. ALL of these toolkits assume that Button 4 and
> > 5 events are triggered by the scroll-wheel) we could *maybe* do the
> > same, although one has to wonder what will happen on that odd mouse
> > where Buttons 4 and 5 are something totally different (e.g. thumb
> > buttons).  If you find anymore information about this, I would love to
> > hear.
> >

> Charl,
>
> 	I understand your point of view, but I think that this option has
> become a 'standard'.
> 	If you have an odd-mouse with side button, there is a FAQ for Mandrake
> user:
>
> 	http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/xwin/xmouse2.html#button
>
> 	The imwheel (http://jonatkins.org/imwheel/) project, also assume that X
> config has the option : "Option ZAxisMapping 4 5"
>
> 	BTW, if a left handed user has remap the X event with:
>
> $ xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1 4 5"
>
> Then a mouse left button click would raise a "RightButtonPressEvent" in VTK.
>
> 	I tried some app such as OpenOffice / Mozilla/ Netscape/ Nedit / XEmacs
> ... *ALL* are mapping wheel event to button 4 and 5. So please if you
> know any other app that doesn't make this assumption, please send me
> link to it.

It's not going to be that easy, Mathieu. :)  I just commented out my
ZAxisMapping 4 5 option and restarted X... suddenly, the mouse wheel on
my MS IntelliEye mouse did NOT work anymore in Mozilla 1.4, OpenOffice
1.0.3, Konqueror 3.1.2, aterm 0.4.2 or evolution 1.2.4.  When I
uncommented the line and restarted again, my scroll wheel started
working again.

Conclusion:
At least on my system, NONE of these rather popular applications assume
that buttons 4 and 5 are the scroll wheel.  I don't think that VTK
should make this assumption either.  I can see that it's definitely
easier to implement the ZAxis handling as button event handlers, but in
this case it seems the easy way is not the correct way.

Good luck with this!
Charl