[vtkusers] Re: VTK: Mouse Wheel Event

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Wed Aug 13 13:01:07 EDT 2003

At 6:19 PM +0200 on 08/13/2003, Charl P. Botha wrote:

>If that's the case (i.e. ALL of these toolkits assume that Button 4 and
>5 events are triggered by the scroll-wheel) we could *maybe* do the
>same, although one has to wonder what will happen on that odd mouse
>where Buttons 4 and 5 are something totally different (e.g. thumb
>buttons).  If you find anymore information about this, I would love to
>hear.

On MacOS X with Cocoa, these events are indeed different. I can use my Intellimouse (with the default OS driver--disabled Microsoft's) to separately generate button down events for five different buttons as well as detecting scroll wheel movement. I'm not sure how it's handled in Carbon and other platform toolkits though.

Chris
--
Chris Scharver
Electronic Visualization Laboratory