[vtkusers] vtkPolyData exported to OpenInventor

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu.Malaterre at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Aug 6 14:01:58 EDT 2003

Laurent,

	Please move vtkTriangleFilter at the end your pipeline.
	vtkIVWriter is written to take only triangles into account and not
*triangle strips*.

	So your filter should be:

  vtkContourFilter -> vtkDecimatePro ->
  vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter -> vtkPolyDataNormals -> vtkStripper ->
  vtkCleanPolyData -> vtkTriangleFilter -> vtkIVWriter

	Next time you should proceed step by step. For example, with your old
pipeline:

  vtkContourFilter -> vtkTriangleFilter -> vtkDecimatePro ->
  vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter -> vtkPolyDataNormals -> vtkStripper ->
vtkPolyDataWriter

*then* write a simple python script:

r = vtkPolyDataReader
w = vtkIVWriter

you'll see your file will be buggy.
Then try:

r = vtkPolyDataReader
clean = vtkCleanPolyData
w = vtkIVWriter

in order to remove all degenerate cells

r = vtkPolyDataReader
clean = vtkCleanPolyData
tf = vtkTriangleFilter
w = vtkIVWriter

in order to: first remove degenerate cells, *then* turn strips into
triangle (and not the contrary!)

HTH
mathieu