[vtkusers] vtkPolyData exported to OpenInventor

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Wed Aug 6 14:47:13 EDT 2003

At 4:48 PM +0200 on 08/06/2003, imho wrote:

>Rendering works allright with this pipeline, I've problems only exporting the poly.

vtkIVWrtier has a mind of its own. It does a few things automatically during the export, and those things are not visible when you render the pipeline. I have some code to move simple geometry between Open Inventor and VTK. It works with Coin3D, TGS Open Inventor, and SGI Open Inventor. I've tested on MacOS X, Windows, and IRIX. This all piggy-backs on having some kind of Inventor functionality available at run-time.

The vtkActorToIV code is currently based on Paul Rajlich's vtkActorToPF code. It's quite a hack at the moment, but the code does convert a vtkActor into Inventor SoShapeKits more cleanly than using vtkIVWriter. You can query for the resulting shape node as needed. Going in the other direction, vtkOIVSource takes an Inventor SoVertexShape as input and generates vtkPolyData.

I slapped together a rough web page at <http://www.evl.uic.edu/scharver/vtkoiv.html>.

Chris
--
Chris Scharver