[vtkusers] 3d plotting

Tim Fooy tim.fooy at pandora.be
Mon Apr 14 09:23:50 EDT 2003

On Sunday 13 April 2003 18:17, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     TF> Hi all, I have been looking quite some time now in the
>     TF> documentation on the VTK homepage, but given the enormous
>     TF> number of classes I can't find what I'm looking for and I hope
>     TF> someone might give me a hint in the right direction.
>
> You need to see how your data is organized.  Are the points regularly
> organized, are they structured or unstructured?  If its not really
> organized do you know how to make a volume with the points you have?
> In these cases you need to create a VTK data file with your data and
> use an appropriate data reader and use the data to do what you want.
> VTK data files support structured points, structured grids,
> unstructured grids and polydata.  The best online reference for the
> VTK data format is here:
>
>   http://vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf

The data is structured, and of this form:
X  Y  Z
0  0  5.2
1  0  6.4
0  1  4.8
1  1  4.3
..
They probably can be put into a structured grid, but I don't know in which way
I can end up with a plot of the 3D surface above the XY plane, consisting of
4-point tiles, and with axes indicating the X and Y values.  So some hints on
class names that I might use for that would be really helpful: if I know what
to use/look for, then I'll find my way through the documentation of the
methods to actually make the plot.

Thanks for helping,

Tim