[vtkusers] 3d plotting

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Apr 14 14:29:19 EDT 2003

    TF> The data is structured, and of this form: X Y Z 0 0 5.2 1 0
    TF> 6.4 0 1 4.8 1 1 4.3 ..  They probably can be put into a
    TF> structured grid, but I don't know in which way I can end up
    TF> with a plot of the 3D surface above the XY plane, consisting

Create a structured points data (or structured grid if that does not
work) with constant Z and treat your given z values as scalar
attributes at each of the points on the plane.  Then use the
vtkWarpScalar class to warp the plane using the scalars to produce a
carpet plot.  Use vtkPolyDataNormals if you want a smoother
appearance.  Use vtkCubeAxesActor2D for the axes.  That should get you
started.

cheers,
prabhu