[vtkusers] 3d plotting

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Apr 13 12:17:29 EDT 2003

    TF> Hi all, I have been looking quite some time now in the
    TF> documentation on the VTK homepage, but given the enormous
    TF> number of classes I can't find what I'm looking for and I hope
    TF> someone might give me a hint in the right direction.

You need to see how your data is organized.  Are the points regularly
organized, are they structured or unstructured?  If its not really
organized do you know how to make a volume with the points you have?
In these cases you need to create a VTK data file with your data and
use an appropriate data reader and use the data to do what you want.
VTK data files support structured points, structured grids,
unstructured grids and polydata.  The best online reference for the
VTK data format is here:

  http://vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf

I don't know of other references and for want of better references
you could also read this presentation:

  http://mayavi.sf.net/docs/mayavi_talk.pdf

that has a brief section on VTK data files.

cheers,
prabhu