[vtkusers] choosing the best tool for creating GUIs

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Sun Sep 22 21:27:24 EDT 2002

Hi Thomas,
   You could also look at using FLTK. The acronym includes Fast and Light
which sums it up really, the learning curve is negligable, I found this to
be a great way to get a no-hassles GUI from C++.
The FLTK home is:
     http://www.fltk.org/
The class linking vtk-FLTK can be found from:
     http://cpbotha.net/vtkFlRenderWindowInteractor.html

Check out some other GUI possibilities at:
     http://www.barre.nom.fr/vtk/links-classes.html#fltk

PS. It was good enough for ITK, so it cant be too bad.

  regards
    Dave Pont

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          Thomas Deschamps       |
|        |          <tdeschamps at lbl.gov>   |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          vtkusers-admin at public.k|
|        |          itware.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          21/09/2002 06:31       |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in>                                               |
  |      cc:     vtkusers at public.kitware.com                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     Re: [vtkusers] choosing the best tool for creating GUIs                                  |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> You'd need to be more specific.

I have C++ routines, with lots of classes, namespaces, and templates.
This code is mostly image processing code, filtering, segmentation,
etc...
I want to build a GUI interface that will take care of the input of the
parameters to my routines (number of iterations of processes, but also
interaction with the vtkRenderWindow where I pick some locations.
I have no experience with the interfaces, and I would like to know if it
is really needed to wrap my code in another language like python. Is
there another way to call  directly the C++ routines fron an interface.
What is the gain from using a scipting language? Is there a huge tradeoff
in the capabilities of the GUIs?
I know scripts are useful in terms of developments and tests because you
don't need to compile them, etc... but not in terms of GUI.
Why PyQt and not directly Qt for example?

Thank you for your help anyway

Thomas