[vtkusers] Oriented Tensor Glyphs

Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt
Fri Oct 11 07:56:54 EDT 2002

Hello

I extended the vtkTensorGlyph class, so that the glyph is repeated and
oriented at each point, for each eigenvector.

I hope that the result is explained by the examples that are available at
http://www.civil.ist.utl.pt/~moitinho/vtk

The behaviour of the object is controlled by two new Boolean variables
ThreeGlyphs and Symmetric. When they are false the object behaves as
vtkTensorGlyph.

If ThreeGlyphs is true three glyphs, which are scaled according to the
eigenvalue along the main axis (the one that after rotation corresponds to
the eigenvector), are drawn.

If Symmetric is true then the glyph (or the glyphs) is/are mirrored, i.e. 2 or
6 glyphs are produced.

In the examples both variables are true.

This behaviour is usefull in solid mechanics were other than knowing the
direction and magnitude of the eigenvectors we also want to know its sign.
Other uses are probably possible...

I tried to write the code according to the instructions (a vtkMy...). Could
someone who is interested in testing this provide me with some info on the
best way to "publish" it?

Thank you

Ze Paulo