[vtkusers] MacOSX: fundamental Carbon/Tk/X11 problem

Ross Whitaker whitaker at cs.utah.edu
Tue Nov 12 19:22:25 EST 2002

Hi Folks,

It seems to me there is a basic problem with getting tcl wrapping with a
native version (Carbon) of VTK.

All of the versions of tcltk (incl. the most recent) have a line in the
tk.h file which says:

#include <X11/Xlib.h>

Thus, you need to have some X11 headers in your path.  However, those
headers conflict with all sorts of stuff in Carbon.

It seems odd to me that the tk headers would require X11 (if they are
meant to run without it).

The way I see it is

1) You need X11 headers for tk
2) X11 headers conflict with Carbon
3) tk and Carbon are incompatible

Obviously, there is a way out of this, because the "Wish Shell" runs.
 Right?

Ross

P.S. Please cc me on responses.

--