[vtkusers] Distributing VTK for Python on OSX

Robb Brown brownr at ucalgary.ca
Mon May 6 18:26:39 EDT 2002

I've got VTK compiled and wrapped for Python on OSX, now I want to
install it on a few computers.  I thought I could just copy the
libraries (.so and .dylib) files but this appears not to work
properly.  When importing, say import libvtkCommonPython, it looks
like Python looks in the libvtkCommonPython.so file and goes looking
for the libvtkCommon.dylib file.  Unfortunately, the .so file tells
Python that the .dylib is located in the directory where vtk was
compiled, which doesn't exist on the current machine.

How do I make a binary distribution of vtk?

Thanks,