[vtkusers] How to associate character strings (textual lablels) with 3D points ?

Markus Neff Markus.Neff at brainlab.com
Tue Jul 9 04:46:53 EDT 2002

Dear Giancarlo:

thank you very much for your reply ... I will think about this.

> > I am new to VTK and I want to associate textual labels with 3D
> > points in a dataset. Is there a standard way of doing this or do I
> > have to write my own "vtkLabeledDataMapperString" which
> > gets the string char by char from field data and renders them
> > in the overlay plane ?

> try to use vtkTextSource  and set the position with the
> SetPosition method of the vtkActor or vtkFollower.

What I originally wanted was the string to be contained in the dataset,
because I have to send the points and their labels across network using
the vtkSocketCommunicator. I then want to render the string as 2D in the
overlay plane ...

Thanks in advance,
Markus