[vtkusers] WHO CAN TELL ME?

Gerald E Dalley dalleyg at ee.eng.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jan 1 21:12:06 EST 2002

Good:
	Open source (makes debugging MUCH easier, at least for me)
	Good cross-platform support
	Lots of features and capabilities
	Supports scripting from TCL, Java, and Python
		(though I prefer just using C++)
	Extensible
	Good online documentation
	Active support group (this mailing list)

Bad:
	Sometimes cumbersome data structures
		(this may be getting much better in 4.0???)
	Can be large and complex

IMHO, unless you are already familiar with similar toolkits, have a fair
amount of time and patience, or don't have an employer to pay for them,
getting the book(s) is HIGHLY recommended.  VTK uses a powerful
architecture, but at least for me it took reading a few chapters to
understand what was going on.

--Gerald Dalley
  dalleyg at ee.eng.ohio-state.edu