[vtkusers] problem with vtk4.0/Tcl

sebastien at barre.nom.fr sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Tue Jan 1 08:20:53 EST 2002

Stefan Woelki écrit:

Hi Stefan

> I have a little problem with vtk4.0 and Tcl:
> In order to make the vtk4.0 package work in a standard Tcl-interpreter i
> followed the instructions given by of Sebastien Barre in
> "VTK/Wrapping/Tcl/README". My Tcl auto_path variable is
> /usr/local/lib/vtk/tcl.
> Unfortunately this doesn't "do the trick", at least not for me.
> While the vtk-interpreter works, the standard tcl-interpreter cannot
> load the package correctly.
> If i do:
>   $ wish
>   % package require vtk
> i get:
>   ::vtk::load_component: vtkCommonTCL could not be found.
>   can't find package vtkcommon
> Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

This means that you did the right thing regarding the Tcl part of VTK (i.e.
your are able to load the VTK Tcl package 'vtk'). What's wrong now is not
directly related to this installation, it's "just" that Tcl is not able to
load the VTK DLL/shared lib. Locate your vtkCommonTcl.so lib (I guess in
/usr/local/lib/vtk or /usr/lib/vtk), and add the path to this lib to either
your PATH or your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment var. Indeed this is strange
because I've written the load_component function so that it also looks in
/usr/local/lib/vtk, so would you mind checking where you installed your
vtkCommonTcl.so file ?.

Thanks