[vtkusers] vtkTkRenderWidget fails when trying to locate vtkLoadPythonTkWidget.dll

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Feb 25 00:41:37 EST 2002

Hi,

    JN> Hi all, I'm new to the list and I'm having problems trying to
    JN> install vtk on my windows 2000 machine.  So far I've
    JN> sucessfully installed python 2.1 on my machine though their
    JN> install program.  When trying to install vtk I followed this
    JN> procedure:

A long while ago when I made the MayaVi binaries for win32 I wrote up
a small document on how to use Les's binaries.  I've attached it at
the bottom and hope it is of some use.  Some items like the vtkCore32
are old just use the same procedure with the more recent binary
releases.

prabhu

                Installing VTK and Python on Windows
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Through out the document I assume that
  BASE_DIR=D:\Program Files\

Installing Python:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Visit http://www.python.org.  Grab the latest stable release
  (currently 2.1.1) and install this.  Its pretty simple installing
  Python under Windows.  I assume that you install Python in
  BASE_DIR\Python21

  Note: Please make sure you install Tkinter (Tcl/Tk) that is bundled
  with the Python installer.

Installing VTK from binaries:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  This procedure is currently pretty messy.  Hopefully this will be
  cleaned up and improved later.

  Download the vtk32Core.exe and vtk32Python.exe file from here:

        http://public.kitware.com/VTK/get-software.php

  Install vtk32Core.exe in BASE_DIR\vtk.  Put the resulting DLL's in
  BASE_DIR\vtk\DLLs\

  Install vtk32Python.exe in BASE_DIR\Python21.  Take all the files
  that it creates and put them in the BASE_DIR\Python21\VTK dir.

  Get Les Schaffer's VTK DLL's built for Windows and Python 2.1 from
  here:

        http://folks.astrian.net/godzilla

  Unzip them in BASE_DIR.

  Now create a vtk.pth file in BASE_DIR\Python21\ that simply contains
  the following on a line:

      VTK

  Note: make *absolutely* sure that the actual file name of the file
  is truly vtk.pth.  Notepad for instance will automatically make it a
  vtk.pth.txt file and make life miserable.

  You should also make sure that BASE_DIR\vtk\DLLs is in your PATH.

  That should pretty much set up VTK completely.

Testing:
^^^^^^^^

  To test your install start a Python interpreter shell either use
  idle or type 'python' at a shell, and try the following:

  >>> import vtkpython
  >>> import vtkRenderWidget

  If this works then in all probabilty your VTK and installation is
  correct.