[vtkusers] vtkPolyDataReader and OutOfMemory errors

Marcel Prastawa prastawa at cs.unc.edu
Thu Feb 21 22:10:22 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Gili wrote:
> 	I am attempting to load a 400MB (ASCII) or 200MB (Binary) DataSet of lines
> and no matter what I do vtk dies on "cannot allocate new memory" errors. I have over 1
> GIG of virtual memory available to it, which it does not use. I have 256MB physical
> memory.

What OS are you using? Even if you have a large amount of memory, the OS
may limit the memory allocation for your program.

If you are using UNIX you can change this behavior using limit (try 'man
limit'). A common problem with 64-bit OS (ex: IRIX) is using a 32-bit
binary (instead of 64) that may not be able to address the whole memory
space, although you normally wouldn't run into this.

Marcel