[vtkusers] vtkPolyDataReader and OutOfMemory errors

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 23:26:08 EST 2002

> Also, my dataset consists of over 33,000 different lines but I want to
load them
> all from a single data file. Is it possible to have multiple POINTS, LINES
statements in a
> PolyData file? or must one combine them into one? If they must be combined
into one,
> how does one denote a break in a line? Meaning: when I am listing points
that make up
> the line (in the LINES statement) I want to stop one line and begin a new
one. I tried
> multiple POINTS, LINES statements in the past but it lead to seemingly
random errors
> and I never got it working properly.

It sounds from this that you might be creating files by some
non-vtkDataSetWriter derivative. If this is the case, double check you've
got it right. Look at some other vtk files for comparison.

One possible reason for overlarge memory allocation is inserting cells into
a list and not estimating the size correctly or specifying an extend by
amount. I can't comment on the current state of things, but the old array
exten commands used to double the current size if no specific amount was
specified. If you got to 399MB and then added one more cell it might jump to
798. Just a thought.