[vtkusers] Suggestions for volume+surface hardware ?

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Feb 21 17:54:53 EST 2002

Hello John,

It depends on how you do your volume rendering - if you use a
vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D it will use the graphics card, and here you can
tweak it to make the "more memory" cards perform better. But you have the
pixel depth artifacts to deal with - which get worse with better resolution
data.

If you use the vtkVolumeRayCastMapper you get floating point precision, but
you run as the speed of the processors. It does have a nice multi-res
strategy and is my preferred choice on my new system. I can interactively
render relatively large data sets (256^3 and bigger) without a problem - as
long as I can live with some loss in image quality during interaction.

Lisa