[vtkusers] Can i compile vtk4.0 with mingw on windows?

Jarek Sacha galicjan at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 13:13:56 EST 2002

Stephen:

You may keep in mind that cygwin produces faster executables than free
Borland compiler. At least when comparing pure number cranching using
SciMark2 benchmark (http://math.nist.gov/scimark2/download_c.html). On
Pentium 4 2.53GHz cygwin code with gcc 3.2 got benchmark of 423, and was
more than twice as fast as Borland's code (176). BTW: benchmark for VC6
was 218, and for Java 1.4.1 was 216 (somebody saying Java was slow?). All
compilers were set for max speed optimization, Sun's JVM was run in server
mode. I did not test mingw, this could be quite interesting, since it
links to different libraries than regular cygwin code.

Jarek