[vtkusers] Re: vtk 4.0 debian : lot of problems

Utsav Pardasani pardasaniman at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 15:02:35 EST 2002

I found that the vtk packages for debian woody were rather evil as well.  So I installed knoppix.

My fave way to use vtk4.  Do a hard disk install of knoppix:
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

apt-get update, apt-get install python-vtk/unstable (For python bindings)

Despite the unstable packages knopppix is actually extremely stable.  I also found that despite
the fact I repartitioned my harddisk and installed a new OS, it took much less time than compiling
VTK on my machine:-).

I am a complete newbie so feel free to puke at my horrid method of installing vtk.