[vtkusers] Hardware stereo 3D viewing of confocal images

Mike Dresser Michael-Dresser at mail.omrf.ouhsc.edu
Tue Aug 20 09:11:48 EDT 2002

Hello Dan.

We've used VTK and related software to visualize LSM510 volumes, though
using Windows boxes, for a couple of years with very good results.  The .lsm
file format is available from Zeiss, so that if you want to read in the data
directly you can generate a reader.  I've written a simple, limited .lsm
file reader for an application that we use in-house - I'm not much of a
programmer, but I'll clip out the relevant parts and send them if you
promise not to laugh in public.  Alternatively, the LSM510 software can
export single-channel data to a series of .tifs, and VTK includes a TIFF
file reader that may be able to handle these files relatively easily.
You'll have to enter spacing, wavelength, etc., manually if you go the .tif
route.

If you're not interested in writing the code, then I highly recommend
VolView from Kitware, which does run in Linux, and does handle the
LSM510-output .tifs.  We've been using VolView for a year or more and have a
number of labs that use it regularly.  We have not tried to use
stereo-viewing hardware, so I can't address that part of your question.  If
you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting a VolumePro board from
TeraRecon (don't know if it works in Linux) which allows very rapid zooming,
rotating, etc. with large datasets.  The VolumePro board is supported by VTK
and by VolView.  (I don't work for any of the companies involved.)

Mike

Michael E. Dresser, MD/PhD
Assoc. Member, Molecular and Cell Biology
Director, Core Facility for Imaging
405-271-7682

Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation
825 NE 13th St.