[vtkusers] CT - VOLUME - CAD

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Tue Aug 20 10:10:57 EDT 2002

Ng,

In my limited experience so far, the file output options seem fairly limited to
triangle or other types of polygonal surfaces. If your CT data has nice borders
in it, then you could use marching cubes to create the surface and then write an
STL file (triangles) which most CAD packages can read, however in my experience
what the CAD folks are looking for are NURBS type surfaces which I've not seen
generated in vtk. Some CAD packages can drape NURBS surfaces on poly meshes but
I've not had much luck with that personally. I've not seen any meshing
capabilities for FEA but I might be wrong here since I'm not real familiar with
FEA. I'm fairly sure you can represent tets and hex volume meshes in vtk but how
to do this from the CT data and whether these would be suitable for FEA I'm not
sure. My coworkers tell me FEA meshing can be tricky business. It is possible
that I've missed some classes or that there are vtk user generated classes out
there that can handle these issues. Perhaps a search of the archives might turn
something up.

I hope folks can prove me wrong on a number of these statements as I'm looking
for some of these capabilities myself.......john

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      public.kitware.com
 [24.97.130.19]

From: "Ng Hong Wan" <hongwan at myrealbox.com>@public.kitware.com on 08/20/2002
02:07 PM ZE8

      "Ng Hong Wan" <hongwan at myrealbox.com>           To:   <vtkusers at public.kitware.com>
                        @public.kitware.com           Cc:    (bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)
                                              Subject:      [vtkusers] CT - VOLUME - CAD

                                   Sent by:
          vtkusers-admin at public.kitware.com
                        08/20/2002 02:07 AM

Hi,

Is there a known approach to reconstruct a 3D volume model from CT using VTKand
import it successfully into well known CAD modelers like Unigraphics, Pro E,
AutoCAD

If not

What abt a known approach toreconstruct a 3D volume model from CTusing VTKand
import it successfully into well knownFEA software like ABAQUS, ANSYS, NASTRAN.