[vtkusers] Using VTK with Java with some problems

Kevin Wright krw at viz-solutions.com
Mon Sep 17 11:51:46 EDT 2001

I embedded a VTK window into a Java application a few years ago, and had some
trouble because I mixed the vtkPanel (which is Java 1.1 code) with GUI widgets
from the Swing Set (Java 1.2).  If you put the vtkPanel into a Swing Set frame
(JFrame), I think that you'll get the problem you're complaining about.  Two
choices are to reimplement the vtkPanel using Swing Set widgets which requires
you to know more about Java than I do, or to selectively use 1.1 widgets to
avoid the problems you're facing.  You don't have to get rid of all swing set
widgets, just the ones directly up the tree from the VTK viewer.

Hope that helps,
Kevin.