[vtkusers] Using VTK with Java with some problems

Carlos Martinez Burgos cmarbur at iti.upv.es
Wed Sep 12 06:17:58 EDT 2001

Hi all.

I'm developing an application in Java, using VTK to show some 3D objects.
I need to develop some functionalities like cutting planes, picking
objects, camera interaction, parallel projections and so on. Furthermore I
need to put the render panel on a window with some GUI, like buttons,
labels, textfields, etc.

I'm having problems to implement this in VTK, perhaps because I'm not a
VTK guru. The main problems are:

I have extended a JPanel in wich I add the Canvas that shows the
renderWindow. I have copied some code from vtkPanel and added on this
class to implement the render function, mouse interaction, etc.
The problem is that when I add other GUI objects to this JPanel extended
class I can't see it. I add the canvas to the center using a BorderLayout
and another JPanel with border and some JLabel to the east. I can see this
panel. How can I show it? Have somebody done this?

Furthermore, sometimes, when I move the mouse outside the canvas, it turns
gray like if it doesn't show anything. Do you know the problem?

I have a problem with picking too. I implement a KeyListener in wich on a
keyPressed event I create a vtkPicker and run its pick object with the
position of the mouse, that is updated in a mouseMoved event. I implement
a pick method on an object that contains the VTK pipeline to show a
surface (vtkPolyData, vtkPolyDataMapper and vtkActor). In this method I
show the outline of this surface (using a vtkOutlineFilter).

The problem is that when I press the key, with the mouse pointing near to
a surface, but not exactly on it, it is hited many times. I send some code
to test it. I have run pickCells.tcl sample and this doesn't happen. Do
you know why this occurs? Is this only a Java bindings problems?

If you could answer with some code I'll be gratefull.

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Carlos Martínez Burgos      |     Instituto Tecnológico de Informática
Ingeniero Informático       |      Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
Tlf: +34 963877237          |                        Camí de Vera, S/N
cmarbur at iti.upv.es          |                   46071 Valencia - Spain
www.iti.upv.es/~cmarbur     |                           www.iti.upv.es