[vtkusers] Sampling vector fields

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Sep 17 02:41:25 EDT 2001

hi,

    KRM> Hi I have what I think is a simple problem.  I have a large
    KRM> data set generated from an unstructured (tetrahedra based)
    KRM> grid ( I have all the details of the connections etc, and can
    KRM> get it into the format for vtkUnstructuredGridReader).  I
    KRM> need to extract the vector field on a plane, so that the
    KRM> values are interpolated onto this plane.  I have used the

You could try to use a vtkCutter and a vtkPlane to do the job.

cut = vtkCutter()
plane = vtkPlane()
<configure the plane properties>
cut.SetCutFunction(plane)
mapper = vtkPolyDataMapper()
mapper.SetInput(cut.GetOutput())

This should get you the scalars and vectors on the plane.  I dont know
why the probe filter didnt work for you - maybe something is wrong
with the pipeline you have used?

prabhu