[vtkusers] VolumePro and VTK under Win2k

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Mon Nov 12 09:07:53 EST 2001

At 02:01 PM 11/10/2001 -0800, Kyle Doerksen wrote:
>I have a VolumePro 500 installed and it works with their sample programs.
>However, when I try to use the VTK sample programs (either the tcl or c++
>demos) I just get a blank screen where my volume rendering should be.
>
>I get the following information:
>Number of Boards 0
>Major Board Version 0
>Minor Board Version 0
>Hardware Avialable Yes
>Correct vli version: Yes
>I'm trying to narrow down the problem. I rebuilt the VTK library as per
>the instructions, but a) the file size didn't change at all and b) there
>was no change in what happens. What is the failure mode if the library is
>compiled without the VolumePro code included?

If the vli library or header file could not be found, then a
vtkVolumeProMapper (which doesn't actually render anything) will be
returned instead of a vtkOpenGLVolumeProMapper.  Call
vtkVolumeProMapper::GetClassName to find out what the New method created.

>Do I need to change the way vli is installed?

The only assumption that is made concerns the end of the path where the
vli.h header file is located.  The end of the path for the VolumePro500 is
assumed to be VolumePro\Inc\vli.h on Windows or vli/include/vli.h on Unix.

Assuming you are using the new VTK tree (using CMake, etc.) first set
VTK_USE_VOLUMEPRO to ON.  Then, specify the path to the vli library in
VLI_LIBRARY_FOR_VG500.  For the vli.h header file, you need to specify the
path to VolumePro/inc/vli.h (or vli/include/vli.h) in
VLI_INCLUDE_PATH_FOR_VG500.  Make sure that the values for these variables
are correct.

- Amy