[vtkusers] ReleaseDataFlagOn question

Naveen Kumar Polapally naveenpkumar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 22:37:59 EST 2001

hi,

For some days now i have been complaining that ReleaseData feature is not
working for graphical pipeline while it is working for imaging pipeline. No
wonder no one answered, because i was wrong.

I am rephrasing my question,for a pipeline shown below the release data
machanism is working. But when i parallelize it it does not work.

vtkImageReader *reader = vtkImageReader::New();
reader->SetDataByteOrderToBigEndian();
reader->SetDataExtent(0, 511, 0,511,Mainzmin,Mainzmax);
reader->SetFilePrefix("/home/devel/vtk/vtkdata/vfem/slice");
reader->ReleaseDataFlagOn();
reader->SetDataSpacing(1, 1, 1);

vtkSynchronizedTemplates3D *iso =  vtkSynchronizedTemplates3D::New()
iso->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());
iso->SetValue(0,600);
iso->Update();

I narrowed my problem to the method shown below.

vtkShortArray::~vtkShortArray()
{
  if ((this->Array) && (!this->SaveUserArray))
    {
      delete [] this->Array;
    }
  delete [] this->Tuple;
}

Both the parallel and sequential executions call this method and both of
them delete the this->Array. This is the array which holds all the data of
the output of vtkImageReader. But only in case of sequential program  i see
a reduction of memory usage, while in case of parallel program i don't see
any change in memory usage. I am unable to explain this as the memory gets
allocated in vtkShortArray::Allocate method into Array when you delete it,
it has to free the memory.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
naveen.