[vtkusers] ERROR: In vtkMultiThreader.cxx

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed May 30 09:14:56 EDT 2001

> Now I am trying to port an application that I have developped in Linux
> with the same versions of vtk and Mesa. All seems to work fine, but at
> execution time, I get the following message:
>
> ERROR: In vtkMultiThreader.cxx, line 368
> vtkMultiThreader (0x1d29a8): Unable to create a thread.
> pthread_create() returned -1

	I don't think this has anything to do with Mesa. The
	first thing I would try is to write a small program
	which creates threads without creating a renderer or
	render window. Preferably one that links only against
	vtkCommon. If you get the same error, try to create
	threads using raw pthreads. Let me know the results
	if you perform these tests. We can have a better idea
	of what the problem is then.

> I have searched the mailing-list archive and I found a message saying
> that if mesa uses pthreads there can be problems. I have checked my mesa
> library with "nm libGL.so |grep pthread" and I got no hits; I have also
> tried to compile using the -DVTK_USES_SPROC flag and without pthreads,
> but compilation fails.

	I doubt Sun would support sproc. It's part of Irix.