[vtkusers] ERROR: In vtkMultiThreader.cxx

Jordi Inglada jordi.inglada at cnes.fr
Wed May 30 08:49:00 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I have compiled vtk3.2 on a sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 with SunOS 5.7, using g++
version 2.95.2 and Mesa 3.4.2. I set the -DVTK_USE_PTHREADS flag. The
compilation goes without problem.

Now I am trying to port an application that I have developped in Linux
with the same versions of vtk and Mesa. All seems to work fine, but at
execution time, I get the following message:

ERROR: In vtkMultiThreader.cxx, line 368
vtkMultiThreader (0x1d29a8): Unable to create a thread.
pthread_create() returned -1

I have searched the mailing-list archive and I found a message saying
that if mesa uses pthreads there can be problems. I have checked my mesa
library with "nm libGL.so |grep pthread" and I got no hits; I have also
tried to compile using the -DVTK_USES_SPROC flag and without pthreads,
but compilation fails.

Has anybody an idea of how I could deal with this problem (without using
OpenGL instead of Mesa)?

Thankyou.

--
Jordi Inglada - Post Doc