[vtkusers] ERROR: In vtkMultiThreader.cxx

Simon Warfield warfield at bwh.harvard.edu
Wed May 30 09:22:10 EDT 2001

You are compiling and linking on solaris but not linking with the POSIX threads
library. Instead you are getting stubs in libc which is providing a
POSIX compliant threads interface which happens to fail on all thread creation
attempts.

I suggest you link with
-lpthread -lthread

Sun used to have a bug that simply linking with -lpthread was not sufficient
and it isn't clear to me that they have fixed it yet.

And while I am making suggestions, I think you will find performance is
improved under SunOS 5.7 if you also do a platform specific call to set the
number of Light Weight Processes the Sun runtime provides - by default it
has really poor behavior.  The call you want is something like:
  thr_setconcurrency(sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN))
This is assuming you want at least as many threads as CPUs and you want as many
LWPs as CPUs and you want the threads to run on different CPUs when that is
possible.