[vtkusers] REG: best method for closest point search

Gerald Dalley dalleyg at dma.org
Fri May 18 09:45:10 EDT 2001

I have been doing some work with 3d registration and created a partial
implementation of a kD tree locator.  I've implemented BuildLocator and
FindClosestPoint.

FYI, if you modify the source a little for the existing locator classes, you
can actually get them to work for these purposes.  The key it to allow
detection of closest points when the search point is outside the bounding
box of the data points.  It's not as fast as a kD tree in general, but it
works.

I'm including the locator files as an attachment.

--Gerald Dalley
  dalleyg at dma.org