[vtkusers] REG: best method for closest point search

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Fri May 18 10:13:23 EDT 2001

I'm hoping to check in my BSP tree code soon. I plan on changing
vtkCellLocator to inherit from a new vtkAbstractCellLocator (empty placeholder)

vtkAbstractCellLocator ->vtkCellLocator
                        ->vtkModifiedBSPTree
                        ->vtkOBBTree (might need a lot of work here).

vtkAbstractCellLocator will have basic line intersection stuff which I've
implemented in BSP tree for my raytracing work and already exists in
celllocator. Users will be able to switch easily between BSPtree and
Celllocator, but not yet OBBtree. In the pipeline are more sophisticated
searches for nearest points, implicit function tests and BBox tests etc etc
but these will take dedicated work which I may not have time for.

vtkPointlocator doesn't fit into this plan, but suggestions are welcome.

JB