[vtkusers] Teaching VTK with TCL/TK

Robert Belleman robbel at science.uva.nl
Fri Mar 16 05:38:51 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:29:33PM -0600, Kent Eschenberg, Ph.D. wrote:
> I'm teaching a course for computer science graduate students this summer on
> the subject of scientific visualization. We'll be using VTK (both TCL/TK and
> C++ flavors) on PCs for projects and there will be 48 hours for lecture
> and/or labs.
>
> Any suggestions for course materials? If I use a set of notes (html,
> Powerpoint, Word, ..., crayon) I'd be happy to pass back any additions.

We have been teaching a caput on "Scientific Visualization and Virtual
Reality" for two years now in which the students are also asked to
fulfill a number of lab assignments using Vtk. You are welcome to have a
look at the material we provide for this course. It's at

http://www.science.uva.nl/research/scs/edu/scivis/

These pages also contain material presented by invited speakers and
references to other sources (such as introductory pages on Tcl). If you
plan to use any of the material provided by our invited speakers for your
own course, please contact me so that I can check for an OK with the
authors.

Regarding the lab sessions; my experience is that a two-hour introductory
lecture on Tcl and Vtk (with interactive demonstrations) is sufficient to
get computer science students with some programming experience well on
their way.

Good luck,
-- Rob

[] Robert Belleman         X  Section Computational Science            []
[] robbel at science.uva.nl  |X| University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands []
[] tel: (+31) 20 525 7510  X  http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbel/       []