[vtkusers] volume rendering and progress methods

alext at win.tue.nl alext at win.tue.nl
Wed Jun 6 07:17:15 EDT 2001

  Hi all,

  I've got a question on volume rendering in vtk 3.1. Suppose one wants to stop an
ongoing volume rendering process, e.g. because one sees that the rendering
takes too long and/or the results are not as expected. I thought I could use
the interface of vtkProcessObject (inherited by e.g. the volumem mappers) to
a) set a progress method and b) set the AbortExecutr flag in this method via
a user interface, for example.

  However, I saw that the progress method was actually not even called
during the volume rendering! Browsing through the volume code, I couldn't
find any occurence of the progress method being called and/or the
AbortExecute flag being checked. Does this mean that the volume rendering
mappers are NOT implementing the interface declared by the vtkProcessObject?
I suspect so, since very few VTK objects really implement that interface.
If this is so, my question to the VTK people would be: is it difficult to
modify e.g. the vtkVolumeRayCastMapper to make it aware of the AbortExecute
flag? Do you plan to do this in a further release?

  Thanks for any hints on this,

  Alex Telea

 Dr. Alexandru C. Telea      | Technische Universiteit Eindhoven

 E-mail   : alext at win.tue.nl | Dept. of Mathematics and
 Office   :  HG 7.71         | Computer Science
 Tel.     : +31 40 247 5008  | PO Box 513
 Secretary: +31 40 247 4416  | 5600 MB Eindhoven
 Fax      : +31 40 246 8508  | The Netherlands

 URL      : http://www.win.tue.nl/math/an/alext