[vtkusers] VTK MPI with SSH Display problem

Juerg Tschirren juerg-tschirren at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:17:38 EDT 2001

I never used the MPI option with VTK, but I do run VTK on a remote machine
through an SSH connection. It looks like you didn't do one or both of the
following two steps:

  If your application runs on machine A and wants to display something on
machine B, then you have to:

  1. on machine A type

     export DISPLAY=B:0.0

     assuming you are using the Bash shell. B has to be the valid
     network name of machine B, or its IP address.

  2. on machine B type

     xhost + A

     in order to allow machine A to do an X connection to B. Again, A
     hast to be a valid network name (resolvable by DNS) or an IP address.

Hope that helps

Juerg