[vtkusers] VTK MPI with SSH Display problem

Simon Winberg swinberg at utsi.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:38:58 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I've got VTK compiled with the MPI option, and am testing the
ParallelIso program. I'm using ssh with the ssh-agent to connect to the
other PC's.

When I execute the program (using the lamexec command) the
application runs for a few seconds and then crashes (see output
below). I can run the application fine on one PC simulating multiple
processors, but when I add any of the other PCs in my cluster I get this
error:

--------
$ lamexec -np 3 ParallelIso

Update 3000 took 0.531551 seconds to produce 68 triangles
Update 1750 took 0.828511 seconds to produce 88310 triangles
Update 500 took 0.738054 seconds to produce 64982 triangles
Update 3000 took 2.94585 seconds to produce 68 triangles
ERROR: In vtkXRenderWindow.cxx, line 176
vtkMesaRenderWindow (0x8235550): bad X server connection.

ERROR: In vtkMesaRenderWindow.cxx, line 122
vtkMesaRenderWindow (0x8235550): bad X server connection.
--------

I have tried the other example programs with similar results.
Could this be a problem with how ssh handles exporting of the display?

Any ideas?