[vtkusers] VTK MPI with SSH Display problem

Robert Belleman robbel at science.uva.nl
Fri Jul 20 04:36:09 EDT 2001

People,

DON'T use "xhost + host" to allow other machines to open X connections
to your machine. Doing so will allow ANY user on that host (or any user
ON ANY HOST ON THE INTERNET if you are foolish enough to just use
"xhost +") to open a X connection to your machine. Others will then be
able to catch any X event that is generated on your machine,
INCLUDING KEYSTROKES.

This is a common way to catch passwords typed in by you when you remote
login to another machine.

Instead, do one of the following:

  - SSH automatically forwards X connections on a secure channel, so use
    ssh to start processes on other hosts (such as PVM/MPI processes).
    If this doesn't work for some reason:

    - check that your DISPLAY variable is not overriden by your startup
      files (.cshrc, .bashrc, etc.), SSH will do this automatically.
    - you may have to pass the "-n" flag on the commandline to ssh
      commands,
    - you may have to add "ForwardX11 yes" to "$HOME/.ssh/config",
    - check that "xauth" is installed on the remote machine; if it isn't
      installed on a "known" location (like "/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth"),
      set "XAuthLocation" in "$HOME/.ssh/config",
    - have your sysadmin check the SSH settings and the settings of
      network devices between you and the remote host,

  - Look into xauth(1),

  - Your Vtk program may not even need an X connection if the only thing
    you want to do is preprocessing on another host. If this is true,
    then don't create any structures that initiate X connection (i.e.
    do "wm withdraw ." from tcl scripts, or don't create RenderWindows).

-- Rob

--
[] Robert Belleman         X  Section Computational Science            []
[] robbel at science.uva.nl  |X| University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands []