[vtkusers] video card

Robert Mitchell robmitch at eng.uts.edu.au
Fri Jul 6 01:46:34 EDT 2001

Dear All,

I am currently using VTK along with MFC  - creating an environment to
investigate a structure created from an image. As such, I have two
render windows, both vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow. The first window
renders an image which I pan/zoom, as well as display contours, and an
image overlay as well. The other window renders a HUGE amount of sphere
glyphs and tubes. I have at the moment a PIII 933 cpu and only 128MB
ram. Any interaction and picking operations take forever - mainly due to
all the memory being used, however, once I upgrade to 512MB I will be
looking for a decent video card as well.

I am currently thinking of :

ASUS V7700 GeForce2 GTS 32MB DDR AGP Deluxe TV-Out)
OR
3DLabs OxygenGVX1
OR
ELSA GLoria II

Never bought a good video card before, so could someone advise as to:
Is price between them justified (anti-aliasing would be nice?)
Any better suggestions for my setup?

I am actually using the mouse clicking collector Win95, however, will be
trying to get NT soon.

Cheers,
Rob

--