[vtkusers] Re: VTK and CYGWIN

Zsolt Zsoldos zsolt at simbiosys.ca
Fri Jan 5 16:52:31 EST 2001

> Does anyone use VTK with CYGWIN, the unix to Windows software.  I tried
> compiling an older version of VTK on CYGWIN, but it didn't quite work.  I could
> never link the .a files, nor could I use the .DLL from the binary install.
>
> Has anyone done this?

I gave it a quick try just like you, but did not get it working either.
I realized, that I would have to tweak the makefile generator substantially
to generate DLL files the way it is described in the CygWin documentation...
I do not have enough knowledge about makefiles and configure to do it
easily and I do not have the time to learn them.

However, it would be great if someone got it working !
The currently supplied PCmaker system only supports MS VC environment,
which is quite far from open-source... :-)
Would be nice to have VTK working on a free and open environment under
windows too (not just Unix systems).

--
Zsolt Zsoldos, zsolt at simbiosys.ca, http://www.simbiosys.ca/