[vtkusers] wxPython VTK flickering - request for new method in vtkRenderWindow

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Sep 19 09:02:31 EDT 2000

hi,

	As someone had mentioned embedding a VTK widget in a wxPython
application causes pretty bad flickering and some bad clipping.
Renaud KERIVEN <keriven at cermics.enpc.fr> had mailed a solution to
this.  Refer here:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2000-June/003606.html

But this solution is applicable only to the c++ bindings and won't
work with wxPython.

	I believe but am not sure that it would be possible to apply
this solution to wxPython as well if a method was added to VTK.  Here
are the details.

	Renaud's solution to the flickering problem was to replace all
calls to SetWindowId to SetParentId (for the GTK code alone).  Now in
the vtk.py included with wxPython a VTK window is created as a part of
a wxScrolledWindow and the WindowId of the created vtkRenderWindow is
set using the SetWindowInfo function.  It is not possible to use the
WetWindowId since there is no "Window" object in python.  Therefore to
apply Renaud's solution it would be necessary to implement a
SetParentInfo method in vtkRenderWindow and vtkXRenderWindow.  This
would hopefully eliminate the flicker for wxPython as well.  Dont you
think?

	I dont have CVS write access.  So could someone please add
this and try out the wxPython VTK demo?

thanks,
prabhu