[vtkusers] BUG in vtkClipPolyData (?)

Sebastien BARRE barre at sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr
Wed Oct 25 18:40:18 EDT 2000

Hi

A long time ago I had a discussion with Bill (or Will) regarding how to
perform polygonal capping, and he drives me to :
graphics/examplesTcl/capCow.tcl

I played with that example. Then a couple of month ago I played with that
example again, and it was so sloooooooooooow. But still usable, thus I did
not worry about that.

I checked my own code where vtkClipPolyData is used on datasets comprising
200 000 points or more.
It was *no more* usable, it was so slow that nothing could be done
interactively.

I looked at my code, I checked the examples, and here it is :
	if you use GetClippedOutput and GetOutput in the same renderer (displaying
both the cut and remaining parts), then the vtkClipPolyData filter is
updated nearly on each redraw :(( It is therefore impossible to move one or
both parts, as the filter keep updating again and again.

Open capCow.tcl or clipSphCyl.tcl and add :
clipper SetStartMethod { puts "started" }

Surprise... :)

I check the CVS and noticed :
Revision : 1.20