[vtkusers] 3D from image slices taken at regular angles?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Fri Nov 10 11:05:51 EST 2000

Hi Greg,

Another approach would be to use vtkImageReslice to extract images at
the appropriate angles, then use those images as textures on a series
of radially arranged planes.  Do properly display using transparency,
the size across each image will have to be equal to the radius of your
'air filter' rather than the diameter and the planes would have to be
sorted back-to-front.

This would require one vtkImageReslice object per extracted slice,
and you would either have to sort the actors yourself before each
render or collate the outputs from each vtkImageReslice into one
huge texture and append all the actors together into one actor,
and then appropriately set up the texture coordinates to map the
correct part of the texture to each rectangle.  Once everything is
set up as one actor, vtkDepthSortPolyData can be used to sort the
planes back-to-front.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group