algorithm in vtkDecimate

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri May 19 07:39:28 EDT 2000

>At 05:07 PM 5/18/00 -0600, vtk wrote:
>Hello everyone:
>   I am just wondering if someone knows the algorithm of vtkDecimate or
>   vtkDecimatePro?  Where can I find detailed information about it?
>
>   Thanks in advance!
>
>   Hope you guys have a nice weekend!
>
>   -Travis

Decimate:
W.J. Schroeder, J. Zarge, and W.E. Lorensen. Decimation of Triangle Meshes. Computer Graphics  (SIGGRAPH `92), 26(2):65-70, August 1992.

DecimatePro:
W. J. Schroeder. A Topology Modifying Progressive Decimation Algorithm. Proc. of Visualization `97, pp 205-212, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, October 1997.

Also find Garland & Heckbert's algorithm, which I think is the best and (not yet) implemented in VTK:
M. Garland & P. Heckbert. Surface simplicifcation using quadric error metrics. Computer Graphics (Siggraph '97 Proceedings). 1997, pp.209-216.