Filters with Locators

John Biddiscombe j.biddiscombe at rl.ac.uk
Wed May 17 11:49:45 EDT 2000

Many filters have locators used internally and have
CreateDefaultLocator() functions which is nice.
But if you supply
Dataset->SetLocator(my locator)
Many filters delete the locator on completion. (or just call
locator->Initialize())

I'd like to add a couple of flags to all locator using filters which are
UseDataSetLocator(bool) which would be true by default and the filter would
use the locator supplied with the datset, if false it would create a
default locator of its own.

secondly, a ClearLocatorOnCompletion or similar flag which would be true by
default and at the end of execute() filters would call Initialize on the
locator. If false, they wouldn't.

The two flags in conjuction would allow the user to pass a locator to many
filters by attaching it to a dataset and ensure it wasn't corrupted.

I'd welcome any views on this. My own code adopts this system (sort of),
but would it be consistent with existing vtk Filters??

John B

"info vtkusers" to the same address.