trapping special keys

K.R.Subramanian krs at zappa.uncc.edu
Tue May 16 18:20:48 EDT 2000

Well, vtkInteractorStyle is definitely cleaner than the previous
generation of
customizing interaction styles and certainly fine for the simpler cases.

I would encourage you to experiment a bit and if you come up with
some nice solution to this, then we could let the developers of
VTK consider its adoption in a future release.

As to your question, I havent used anything beyond ascii keys, because
I havent had the need (or lacked the time to!) to so far..

    -- krs

Benjamin K Cook wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Is anyone else frustrated with the limited
> functionality provided by the vtkInteractorStyle::OnChar
> method?  I'm developing a customized Interactor Style
> and would like to trap special keys (arrow, function, etc);
> unfortunately, the event handling in vtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor
> and vtkXRenderWindowInteractor only captures character key presses.
>
> Yes, there are some workarounds: For instance, in X, I can
> remap the arrow keys using xmodmap so that XLookupString in
> vtkXRenderWindowInteractor.cxx will return a recognizable
> character for my overloaded OnChar method.  Alternatively
> (and this is what I've done (: ), one can hack the event-handling
> code in vtk*RenderWindowInteractor to trap these special keys and
> return some char value using an user-defined extended character
> set.
>
> Any suggestions for a more general fix?  Perhaps a new
> method in vtkRenderWindowInteractor to allow users to specify a
> list of special keys to trap and a new vtkInteractorStyle::OnKey
> method for the interception of these key presses?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben Cook

> "info vtkusers" to the same address.

K.R.Subramanian                           Phone: (704) 547-4872
Department of Computer Science            FAX:   (704) 547-3516
UNC Charlotte, 228A Kennedy
9201 Univ. City Blvd.                     Email: krs at cs.uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001                  WWW: http://www.cs.uncc.edu/~krs